ICT Comic Con Cosplay Contest Rules
Welcome to the ICT Comic Con and Science Fiction Expo Year 4.0 Cosplay Contest! Cosplayers are invited to join us for an epic weekend!
All ICT Comic Con and Science Fiction Expo Cosplay Contest entries should be be modeled after any costume or character from comics, science fiction, movies or horror genres.
Please note that although we make every effort to have the cosplay contest rules published in advance, the cosplay contest rules are subject to the management and judges and we may make adjustments or modifications to the cosplay contest rules at any time per our discretion.
ICT Comic Con and Science Fiction Expo Cosplay Contest Categories
The ICT Comic Con and Science Fiction Expo has four categories this year: Best Overall Men’s, Best Overall Women’s, Best Overall Youth and Best Buck Rogers Character . There may also be honorable mentions, however they will not receive any official award or prize.
All four categories will be judged on the following criteria:
- Workmanship – Entries are judged on both the overall appearance of their cosplay, and the quality of the construction of the costume. Outfits do not need to be worn by the creator so long as the costume creator is present at the convention or acknowledged. Contestants will receive and extra point for presenting their own original work.Contestants are encouraged to bring reference pictures and in-progress photographs to show the judges during the prejudging before the on-stage presentation.
- If an outfit includes a combination of created and purchased items, any purchased pieces must be disclosed to the judges on your entry form. Judges will determine your eligibility, which generally requires that at least 75% of your costume has been created or altered in a significant enough of a manner. Judges have the exclusive ability to determine a costumes eligibility in the workmanship contest.
- Performance – Contestants are judged on their acting, memorization, presentation, and presence. In short, how well they can act like a certain character, or how well they perform a skit, how well they present themselves in their cosplay, etc.
- Creativity – The more creative, original or unusual the better.
ICT Comic Con and Science Fiction Expo Cosplay Contest Rules
- Be careful onstage! All Cosplay Contest entrants are onstage at their own risk.
- Staff members are not eligible to participate in any category, though they can be eligible for honorable mentions.
- Contestants are required to have a minimum of 30 seconds to be on stage in any competing category.
- Contestants may not exceed 2 minutes in duration, unless you have received permission by our director head. Plan ahead. If your skit is affecting the flow of the program, or is running excessively long, we reserve the right to interrupt and end your performance. If your skit is so interrupted, it will not disqualify you from winning any of the awards, unless you refuse to leave the stage.
- NO blatant nudity/adult related content. This event is rated PG-13, and we are a family-friendly convention. Please use some discretion with your character, props and presentation. NO profane language will be tolerated.
- The following may not be worn for competition in any workmanship division: purchased costumes or rented costumes.
- Youth participants (ages 13 and under) can be accompanied by a parent/guardian This isn’t a requirement, just a suggestion, especially for children 10 and under.
- Participants will be required to sign a liability release and a release for use of video and photo images.
- For safety reasons, the following are not allowed:
- Live animals
- Substances which might damage or soil
- Aerosol sprays
- Projectiles of any kind.
- No pyrotechnics will be allowed including but not limited to: fire, flash powder, explosives, smoke bombs or fireworks.
- Entries that could potentially damage the Convention Center facilities, other participants or the wearer will not be allowed.
- Illegal weapons of any kind are not allowed.
- Prop weapons used as part of the costume are allowed with restrictions. You are expected to act responsibly with your weapon. If you decide to carry a weapon, by attending you accept any legal and financial responsibility for damage your weapon may cause to persons or property.
- Entries with electric power requirements need to be self-contained. There will be no access to electrical outlets on stage.
- Smoking is not allowed in the ICT Comic Con and Science Fiction Expo buildings or indoor facilities. Contestants who leave the building for a smoke break may lose their turn to appear on stage.
- All contestants must be able to move their costume on their own. So please no 80 lb wings or giant mechanizations unless you can walk up stairs in it.
- People can only enter as part of one costume or group. If your costume is made almost entirely by someone else, they must be present to win in workmanship and the prize will go to them.
- It’s okay for contestants to have help from a relative/friend, but they should have made most of the costume themselves. The helper does not need to be present, but the contestant must be honest with judges about the extent of the involvement anyone else had in the construction of their costume.
- Audience are not allowed to run up to the stage area for any reason.
- Audience members should be courteous and respectful. Please do not boo or shout negative things to masquerade contestants.
- Please note we do not supply participants with any of the following: make-up, make-up applicators and/or removers, paint, etc. Please come to the convention with everything you need to complete and/or assemble your cosplay.
The Cosplay Director has the right to eliminate any entry from the competition on the basis of taste, danger to the audience, building or yourself, violation of any of the above rules, or any other reason deemed sufficient.
ICT Comic Con and Science Fiction Expo Cosplay Contest Prizes:
Each category will have a grand prize award of $25 as well as a certificate of victory.